,UK

Triple Two Coffee expecting 40 UK sites by end-2021, exploring Ireland debut

The chain is currently opening a store almost every week, its managing director said.

Triple Two Coffee is on course to have around 50 sites in the UK by the end of year, as it currently executes a plan to open 20 franchise-operated stores — almost one a week.

Newport, Bournemouth, Cardiff, Bristol, Soho and Southend are just some of the locations the specialty coffee chain's entering into, managing director David Hodgetts told QSR Media. Outlets in Milton Keynes, Kingston opened its doors in past weeks.

"I'm 99.99999% sure that there won't be another food and drink business doing 20-odd shops in 20-24 weeks," he said.

Hodgetts cited lower cost acquisitions and residential developments as a major part of their location strategy, wanting to have 80% of their network within those categories. The other 20% will revolve around suitable locations in the high street. 

"It's going to cost the franchisees a lot less money to open and we can open them quicker so...they don't have to worry as much on their return on investment," he explained.

Hodgetts also envisions a third of their stores to sell alcohol, observing a higher spend in their Royal Wharf store that is already selling cocktails.

He also wants their menu innovation to be "site-dependent" and is considering a hot range for delivery to get a bite of off-premise transactions.

Hodgetts is also looking at international expansion by early next year, revealing that conversations had been made about a potential master franchise agreement for Ireland.

Ramping up on retail
The ongoing expansion coincides with the chain's planned rollout of their mobile coffee vans, which starts this June, and an ongoing subscription service. Hodgetts also said the chain is ramping up its retail strategy, planning to trial a vending machine model within the next three months in a bid to attract convenience stores and petrol stations.

"We can start with our pilot and, hopefully, we can slowly start to get [the machines] into different locations," he said.

Triple Two recently signed off on a new, compostable style of Nespresso capsules, arriving over the next months, with Hodgetts eyeing to compete with similar offerings in supermarkets before the end of the year as a means to reach the at home market and increase brand awareness. Bespoke coffee bags are also part of Hodgetts' goal for the chain.

"We just reviewed what we were doing and decided that we need to have more variety in flavour on offer for  the supermarket shelves" he explained. "More and more people want quality coffee...we are trying to bring speciality coffee on a commercial level."

Get QSRMedia UK in your inbox
Since you're here...

...there are many ways you can work with us to advertise your company and connect to your customers. Our team can help you dight and create an advertising campaign, in print and digital, on this website and in print magazine.

We can also organize a real life or digital event for you and find thought leader speakers as well as industry leaders, who could be your potential partners, to join the event. We also run some awards programmes which give you an opportunity to be recognized for your achievements during the year and you can join this as a participant or a sponsor.

Let us help you drive your business forward with a good partnership!

The latest opening is the chain’s 69th store in the UK.
This is a venture helmed by former Roti King executive chef Prince Durairaj.
Its UK operator Lemon Pepper Holdings opened its first restaurant in London and has since expanded to a variety of locations.
The company is also growing its roster of master franchise partners.
The coffee chain is also recruiting 2,000 more workers.
Consumer confidence is building despite COVID continuing to take a toll on trading.
The newly created role sees Miller lead the development and strategy of the brand’s customer proposition, marketing, digital transformation and management.
The company also saw a “significant step up” at their airport shops after travel restrictions for vaccinated passengers were eased.
But sales in London West End restaurants, however, are still below pre-pandemic levels.
The three new sites are located in Marble Arch, King’s Cross and Royal Wharf.
To celebrate the milestone, the chain is selling a limited-edition “hyper realistic” pizza cake.
Plant-based dish innovations and exclusive new menu developments and collaborations will also be unveiled at the store.
In April, the celebrity chef refuted the original breakfast Bacon Bap in a viral video seen on his official TikTok account.